Triggered: Shooter Kills 2 And Wounds 3 At Cincinnati Bank Headquarters — But Why?
Investigators are still trying to determine why a lone gunman strolled into the headquarters of Fifth Third Center bank with his right arm extended and started shooting his 9mm handgun at innocent employees on September 6th. Four minutes and 28 seconds later two were dead and three injured. But why?
That’s always the central question after mass shootings. We want to understand why a person would be pushed so far off the deep-end that they would execute such a monstrous act. Are they angry, stressed, or just mentally ill? Experts say it can be all three and more. Often shooters feel they’ve been wrongly disempowered or disenfranchised by the government, an employer, colleagues, or members of other social, political, or ethnic groups.
Nearly 30 percent of all mass shootings have occurred in workplaces, usually by angry former employees. For example, the first workplace shooting that resulted in a large death toll took place in Edmond, Oklahoma. After receiving a negative work review, a 44-year-old part-time U.S. Postal Service worker stormed into the town’s small, busy post office and shot 20 people.
Here are other surprising reasons mass shooters aimed to kill employees and bystanders:
- The shooter at YouTube’s corporate offices in April was “infuriated” by the company’s censorship of her videos.
- The shooter in the 2015 Planned Parenthood Clinic attack had an arrest record of rape and sexual violence.
- The shooter of House majority whip Steve Scalise and four others had a history of domestic violence.
- The shooter who killed at least 26 people and injured 20 others in a Texas church had been court-martialed for assaulting his wife and stepson.
- The shooter of a Luby’s Cafeteria in Texas hated women and called them a foul name as he shot them.
Sadly, there are no easy answers and no end to the reasons why some angry, stressed, and mentally ill people will choose to pick up a gun and aim to kill the innocent among us. The best we can do is install a Gun Detection System to deal with these crazy poeple.